Saturday, May 19, 2007

Getting the student visa

Getting the Canadian student visa was very similar to getting an immigrant visa. I had to go to the nearest Canadian consulate and show my original letter of acceptance for studies.

I noticed it was important that the letter showed clearly how much money I make per year at the university (scholarship and others) and a estimate of costs (for tuition, accommodation, food, books, etc.). If you do not have a clear letter like that, ask the university that accepted you to send you another one with these data a.s.a.p. Without that it is unlikely that you get the visa!

It is also very likely that you will have an interview at the embassy. Make sure that you have some clear estimates of your earnings and spending in mind when you go to the interview. You must prove that you will have enough (and sure!) money to live at the university for at least one year (browsing the Internet to see some housing expenses and other helps!).

After I passed the interview I had to take a medical examination (it is mandatory for all applicants for a student visa!). I had the bad luck that one of my test results was inconclusive so I was recommended to repeat the test after a couple of weeks. So the whole process of getting the visa (which lasted about one month from my first visit at the embassy) was then extended with another one month. But this made me miss the deadline for arriving in Canada before the start of the fall term. So I wrote the chair at the university and explained the situation. Finally it was OK and they allowed me to come at the beginning of the nest term. After I came to the university I learned that this is a relatively common situation - quite a few students do not manage to get the visa in time so they come later, 3-6 months after the initial date. So, if it happens to you, do not worry. The only thing you must do a.s.a.p. is to announce you chair or supervisor immediately about your problems and ask for the permission to start with the next term.

No comments: